Monday, January 9, 2017

In which I recommit myself to my craft and my business

Long time, no post!

Until I pulled up the blog page and took a look at my prior posts, I had no idea that it had been so long since I visited here.  It's not that I haven't been spinning or creating fiber blends--I've been doing a lot!  But I haven't been sharing my efforts here.  I plan to commit myself to new posts weekly for 2017!

So what I have been up to lately?  Over New Years one of my goals was to complete an inventory of my business and personal fiber stash.  Wow!  That was an herculean effort!  But all of my major unspun fiber is now weighed and inventoried--it's not all in my database yet, but it is on paper.

I chose to use an Excel spreadsheet for tracking my fiber.  I started with the document offered by Jillian Moreno with her Interweave video class, Spin Your Stash.  http://www.interweave.com/store/spin-your-stash-video-download 

I found the video to be very helpful in clarifying my thoughts as I went through my stash.  I didn't classify my fiber in the same way she does, into these five categories:

  • keep
  • give away
  • unusable
  • transform
  • maybe
I also modified the columns of her suggested spreadsheet, but it gave me a framework to think about the fiber I have.  Sadly, there was really nothing in my stash that I decided to give away, but the good news is, there was nothing hopelessly felted or unusable, either.  Here's the link to my version of the spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lC-7CkXM-1R01Ec0c3UDhvaWc

My completed spreadsheet got me up to Box 9 for stash storage, and all 9 boxes are quite full.  I have some processing to do!

I'm curious to learn how you keep track of your stash.  Is it utterly random and serendipitous?  Is it weighed and measured to the last ounce, and you know where all of it is?  Do you have a plan for all of it, or do you see pretty and buy it?  There is no good or bad answer, but we all have our own methods.  Let me know about yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment