Saturday, April 10, 2010

I wash fleece, and wash fleece, and wash fleece...

I finally got the white Corriedale fleece from Cindy Lou completely washed!  It turned out practically glowing white, and ready for carding and dyeing.

In the meantime, I have been working the carder pretty hard with the shetland fleece I bought in March.  It was not a covered fleece, so there is quite a bit of VM, and there's a break near the tips which I suspect came from lambing last year.  It's pretty easy to tear off those tips, which are matted and icky anyway, and the rest of the fleece is quite nice.  Picking takes a lot of time, though.

I have managed to card some batts from it, and they turn out beautifully.  See?  They are very soft and a lovely heathery oatmeal color that I think will do fun things when overdyed.  I'll leave some of it natural colored, but I think a red over this will look quite nice.

My order from Dharma was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but apparently nobody was at the apartment office, so UPS did not leave the package.  How annoying!  I wasn't really planning to dye anything this weekend, but still...  I can't wait to see the new dyes I ordered!

I've got lots more of November's fleece to card, but I want to do some of Cindy Lou's also.  I have a big dyeing day planned for April 24, and I want to card a lot of this fleece beforehand.  I think carded batts take the color more uniformly, and I'm looking for that this time around.

I also started washing Carly's fleece, the grey one.  It's so pretty....

No comments:

Post a Comment