Thursday, January 27, 2011

In Which I Watch Some Hockey and Spin

High school hockey season is in full swing here in Minnesota.  If you like hockey, high school hockey here is fantastic!  I have two nephews who play varsity hockey for Minnetonka High School, so I am a proud and avid fan.

Hence my frustration tonight when Qwest couldn't figure out how to fix my internet, which has been down for two days.  They can't get a tech out to fix it until Saturday.  In the meantime, the big Minnetonka v. Eden Prairie confrontation was on simulcast over the internet tonight.  What a dilemma!  So here I am, crying over the loss suffered by my poor Tonka Skippers at Caribou Coffee, where I parked myself to use their wifi.  Final score 4-2, but the last goal was a freebie at an empty net in the waning seconds of the game.  It was a fabulous game, just not the outcome I wanted.  :-(

I am working on a basic sock for the next-youngest nephew in that family.  I am happy that those teenage boys like and appreciate hand-knitted socks; the only downside is that they are big boys with big feet--size 13 for all of them except the youngest, and I'm sure he'll get there.  I want to finish this pair for John's birthday on Sunday, but I have the feeling I'm not going to make it.

I've also been spinning for my October Frost sweater.  I have one full bobbin done.   My plan is to keep two bobbins in play--once one is full, let it rest overnight, then take the singles off on the ballwinder.  I'll ply all the fiber at the end to balance out any unevenness.

I've set a goal to card two batts (at least) every night until all the fiber is carded. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of touching the switch on my carder and zapping it with static electricity, so now the switch doesn't work.  This means I have to start and stop my carder by unplugging it, which is awkward, to say the least.  I'm trying to pick out as much VM from this fiber prep as possible in the carding process, and that makes it even harder to do.  It's always something...

No comments:

Post a Comment