Saturday, March 20, 2010

In which I celebrate a fiber-filled weekend--and it's only half over!

What a great day!  Okay, it was a bit cold--26 this morning when we headed out, but it's a good excuse to wear warm woolies, right?   My friend Lynn and I were on the road by 9am, headed to Woolen Meadows Farm www.woolenmeadowfarm.com for her 2010 sheep shearing.

Seems like it's always cold on this day, and I feel sorry for the sheep for taking their coats when it's cold.  But they didn't seem too unhappy, and I'm glad to bring the fleece home!

I got two fleeces today:  Cindy Lou is a Corriedale sheep with a wonderful white, long-stapled, fine fleece.  I bought her 2009 fleece, and signed up again for 2011.  Yes, I'm hogging her.  But look at it:
 It washes up snowy white and takes dye beautifully.

The other fleece I got was from Carly, who is 3/4 Corrie, 1/8 Romney and 1/8 Lincoln.  Isn't it beautiful?

I also received my new carder yesterday, and I have been playing with it like mad.  It's wonderful!  I will post pics of my batts soon, but right now I am carding a lot of raw washed fleece.  Two passes through the carder with the locks and they are ready for blending.

Tomorrow I'm off to Little Red Oak Farm  to help with the shearing of Gail's Shetlands.  I hope I can resist bringing home more fiber from there.  I don't need any more right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment