Thursday, March 18, 2010

In which I wax philosophic about time and literature (for what it's worth!)

I stopped at the library on my way home to pick up two books I had reserved.  They were added to the pile on my nightstand, along with the book a friend lent me today that I've been wanting to read.  (Thanks, Colleen!)  These are for future discussions in my book club--mostly I just manage to read the books, then end up missing the meeting, but the group is broadening my reading horizons, for which I am extremely grateful.

They landed on top of "An Echo in the Bone," by Diana Gabaldon, a 1000+ page tome that I am more than halfway through, and have trouble putting down.  If you are a Diana Gabaldon fan, you understand this.  These books suck you in.  This is the 7th book in what will be, as I understand it, a series of 8 books.  Each book is over 800 pages, I'm quite sure.  In preparation for getting this book, I went back and re-read the prior 6 books!  Understand, this is a MAJOR commitment.

Beyond that, I have a collection of podcasts I can't find time to listen to, emails to read and respond to, and Audible is having a sale on audiobooks right now.  (I also have 2 credits waiting for me to spend them.)  And I probably have 40 books on my Kindle that I have not yet read, many more in my Wishlist on Amazon.

Why is there not enough time in the day?  Perhaps the more appropriate question, how are you coping with the bombardment of media we receive everyday?  There is so much to read and absorb, so much more I want to read!  I can't believe I'm the only one who feels that way.  What is your solution?

Perhaps we should just be thankful that we have such easy access to media that broadens our experience, opens us to new ideas, and just plain entertains.  I should stop stressing over what I can't get to, and enjoy what I can.  Now back to the adventures of Jamie and Claire--they are in the middle of the American Revolutionary War--can't wait to find out how it turns out (ha, ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment